Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Constant Soul


There was the 1st August’s cloudy afternoon. Just got home, escaping from the rain. After some halves of hours Lia returned home with news. There’s a Byzantine music concert in town today, she said. My eyes pressed attention and my ears were asking for more words. It sounded interesting. The concert will take place in the Evangelic Church in the Old Town. The chorus is formed of students form the George Enescu (am I dreaming?) faculty in Iasi (Iasi, Romania???). It was getting more and more interesting.


Andy and me had planed a going out evening with some ppl from AIESEC so the plan was to get to the concert first and then go to the pub. Strange mix of existence: church and drinking place.

Once we entered the Old Town, we’ve seen a group of men dressed in long black robes. Maybe they are priests, we said. Passing towards the church, we started hearing beautiful, strong voices. We entered: a group of around 10 young men were heavenly singing, in Romanian.

There were no complicated church songs... just simple lyrics of common prayers. My heart trembled when I heard “În numele Tatălui, al Fiului şi al Sfântului Duh, Amin”, in the only language my soul could use for praying.

I don’t go to church, don’t believe in many religious customs or so but I trust in God wherever I am. I think that there will always be a connection between what is Saint, my family, my home country and land and me. Those dozens of minutes in a cold, strange and dark church full of saint brought a piece of peace and calm inside of me.

I could speak, write, even think in another language but when it comes to praying, I can just be myself, Romanian.

1 comment:

Alex said...

I hear u'r soul and rest assured that in my heart I feel the blur of my home land... 1000 misty waves away,until an angel with the broken wings will take me home, where my soul sleeps.