Friday, August 18, 2006

Green heart in Krakow

Last week I was feeling of my own the descending curve of the emotional graphic when in a traineeship. I was dreaming for the weekend in Krakow to bring that push on the ascending line back up zero.

On Saturday, after we got in Krakow, after 9 hours of travel and just 3 hours of sleep at night, we decided to leave the Aqua park attraction for a more salty one. We took the bus and went to visit Wieliczka salt mine. We learnt its great legend with Hungarian origins, we wide opened our eyes for the marvelous salt chambers decorated with pieces of salt jewels as enormous chandeliers, sculptures, statues and we walked in the small corridors for more than 2 km.

The next day we visited Krakow with all its churches, castle, university, squares, narrow shopping streets and cloudy sky. In the evening, returning to our dorm, we faced some problems with drunk polish guys that paid us an unexpected visit. We managed to get out of there safe and sane. We met our saver, a former member of AIESEC Krakow in the Main Square at 1:30 am and then spent the night over his place. It was an apartment of 2 AIESECers, where you could tell from the door that is owned by some men. But we felt really good chatting till morning and then sleeping in a rocker’s room, full of black posters.

After the adventurous night, we left for the death place how it was called: Auschwitz – Birkenau. I thought it wouldn’t be as scary as I was preparing for it to be. And in the end it turned out that it was even more. I had some moments, when I felt I would fall in front of those showcases with personal objects of little children or thousands of ordinary, innocent people. We visited the museum and the 2 camps with the torture rooms, the stinky cells, the sanitaria, the gas chambers or the death wall. Even if you don’t get much more information than you knew from your previous readings, it’s the place that makes you realize better the size of the massacre.

I think that going to Auschwitz is a lesson every one of us should take in order to always have in mind what wars and crazy egos can lead to. In a world of natural catastrophes what’s the need of wars? Aren’t there too many people who dye? One doesn’t get any stronger or powerful by bloodbath making.

In the evening, to chill out a bit we went to a trainee bye bye party for an Iranian guy from Canada. It was great to see almost 40 trainees in one LC. I’d love to have more trainees here too but... Anyway, after the short party in the trainee’s flat, we left for a gay club. Everybody told us that there’s great music and they were right. For me that was my first time in a gay club and it was pretty shocking to see how they exchange partners from men in their 50’s to youngsters in their 20’s or the other way around. I have to say the impression was that gay people are more active than straight one.

This was my weekend full of surprises and diversity. I’m preparing myself for a more peaceful one (I hope) in Poznan, where I’ll meet one of my friends and people I’ve worked with on the project but that I will get to meet face to face just now.

Until the next post, I hope my heart will get back to pink...

No comments: